Applying for an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the purposes of identification. Your Local must have an EIN to open a bank account.

The Internet EIN application is the preferred method for applying for an EIN. Once you complete the application, the information is validated during the online session, and your EIN is issued immediately. There's no need to mail in a paper form and then wait for the EIN to be mailed to you.

When you have received your Local's EIN, you must send a copy of it to the National Treasurer (Jim Farley, 159 Burgin Parkway, Quincy, MA 02169). The National will include your EIN under our tax-exempt umbrella, allowing your Local to operate under tax-exempt status.

While sending your EIN to the National puts your Local under our group exemption number, it is still your Local's responsibility to file a 990 with the IRS each year. If your Local fails to file a 990 for three consecutive years, you will lose your tax-exempt status!

Back to Roles and Responsibilites
The American Labor Movement has consistently demonstrated its devotion to the public interest. It is, and has been, good for all America. - John F. Kennedy
NAGE HEADQUARTERS 159 Burgin Parkway
Quincy, MA 02169
Main Phone: (617)376-0220
Main Fax: (617)984-5695
Union Local Tax Issues Federal law now requires that every local union file an annual information return—Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N—with the IRS. If your local fails to file under this new requirement.. Read more