■You and your chief steward or union representative should check out your materials to make sure you have everything you need. Here are some possibilities:
A list of the workers you serve as steward, including name, address, telephone number, email address, job title, and shift schedule.
- A seniority list of your workers (if applicable).
- The contract and any side letters.
- Local union constitution and bylaws.
- Management's personnel manual, if there is one (or any other employer policies in printed form). Civil service rules (if applicable).
- An organization chart of managers and supervisors.
- Organizing materials for new members, including authorization cards, copies of the contract, your union's Web site and email address, and your union' s constitution and bylaws.
- Grievance investigation forms.
- COPE (political action) materials.
- You probably know the different occupations in your unit, but if not, you'll need some job descriptions.
Talking to Your Co-Workers