Feb 26, 2016

More Vacation Time?

Have you previously worked for another Government entity? You may be entitled to more vacation time. 
If you have worked for another government entity before you began working for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, you may be able to start earning vacation time on a higher tier, based on the time spent at your previous government job. 

Collective bargaining agreements and a state policy book (entitled “The Red Book”) contain the guidelines for the vacation policy.  In summary, if you have worked for a public employer before coming to work for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, you might be able to take some of your vacation credit with you from your previous job.  You can find a detailed explanation of the policy here: http://www.mass.gov/anf/docs/hrd/policies/files/pol-transferofbene.doc

Below is a chart from the Commonwealth describing the typed of credits that may be due to employees who made transfers between government employers.  This is for reference ONLY, please refer to the link above or contact your NAGE representative to find out whether the policy applies to you.
Transfer from:    Collective Bargaining 
Federal Government    No credit 
Other States    No credit 
Mass. Cities, Towns and Counties    Vacation status only 
Mass. State  and Local Authorities    Vacation status only 
Legislative Branch, 
Governor’s and Lt. Governor’s Offices 
  Vacation status and sick leave credits only 
Judicial Branch    Vacation status only 
Constitutional and Independent Offices (including Counties that have officially become state agencies)    Vacation status only 
District Attorneys’ Offices    Vacation status only 
Higher Education    Vacation status only 
Other classified positions,  and certain managerial unclassified positions (e.g. Cabinet Secretaries, Undersecretaries, etc.)    Vacation status, vacation credits and sick leave credits* 
*  If break in service is 3 years or more, see Red Book or contract for special conditions under which Personnel Administrator can approve re-crediting of prior time for reemployment/reinstatement.  

We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few; but we can't have both. - Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
NAGE HEADQUARTERS 159 Burgin Parkway
Quincy, MA 02169
Main Phone: (617)376-0220
Main Fax: (617)984-5695
Union Local Tax Issues Federal law now requires that every local union file an annual information return—Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N—with the IRS. If your local fails to file under this new requirement.. Read more