Jun 20, 2016

Assault Pay Bill Shows Importance in Springfield Court Shooting

On the steps of the Springfield Court House, the sound of a gun being fired rang out.
Two men, who were caught within minutes, were having an altercation in front of the Court House. One of them was armed with a bottle, while the other was armed with a loaded firearm.
Both weapons were used, but no one was shot.
Although no court officers were hurt, this is a great example of why court officers need to be provided with pay and medical costs if injured from acts of violence in the courtroom or public areas, holding areas, other designated areas of the courthouse, or from subduing or apprehending escaping prisoners.
This isn’t exactly a one-time deal in a city such as Springfield. It is the second most dangerous city in the Northeast, and the sixth most dangerous city with a population under 200,000 in the nation, and the crime rates continue to rise.
Being a court officer is a dangerous job. When you add on to that very little safety and protection, it makes it a lot more dangerous. Current law states only officers injured as a result of a violent interaction with a prisoner will be provided with pay and medical costs.
Trial Court local 458 President Dorianna Medieros commented, “I know my members and their loved ones would be able to sleep a little easier knowing that if they got hurt outside a court house while on the job they would be taken care of.”
Thankfully an officer was not involved in this particular situation, but one day an officer could be. Before that day comes, they should have the comfort of knowing their medical bills are not coming out of their paycheck, and that they can still receive a paycheck.

We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few; but we can't have both. - Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
NAGE HEADQUARTERS 159 Burgin Parkway
Quincy, MA 02169
Main Phone: (617)376-0220
Main Fax: (617)984-5695
Union Local Tax Issues Federal law now requires that every local union file an annual information return—Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N—with the IRS. If your local fails to file under this new requirement.. Read more